Scrambled Eggs, Tomato, Mozzarella, & Basil Sandwich
Combining the flavors of Caprese salad with the comfort of grilled cheese, this fresh scrambled egg sandwich is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk OR water
- 3 tsp. butter OR olive oil, DIVIDED
- 4 slices whole wheat OR white bread
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 6 fresh basil leaves OR ¼ tsp dried basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in bowl until blended.
- Heat 1 tsp. butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds. Continue cooking - pulling, lifting and folding eggs – until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly. Remove from pan. clean skillet.
- Spread remaining 2 tsp. butter evenly on one side of each bread slice (or brush lightly with oil). Place 2 slices in skillet, buttered side down. Top evenly with scrambled eggs, cheese, tomato and basil. Cover with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- Grill sandwiches over medium heat, turning once, until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes.